Tuesday, 7 October 2008

Oxford Week 1 - Groovy Baby

Hello all friends and loved ones. Here is my blog, which I will probably never write in. However, the lovely and dynamic Christine Spinelli has insisted that I keep a blog during my time abroad. Since it coincides with the fact that I need to begin my human rights essay, I had decided to began tonight.

The soundtrack to this blog will be any old episode of That 70's Show. Youtube and listen now, then read. It will make my wet life in England seem more dynamic. :)

Oxford is amazing. The city is a blend of gray turrets and vine covered statues of old white men that no doubt contributed to the foundation of civilized education. The streets wind all around and often meet up with one another in a huge circle from where you started. Ancient gravestones and KFC tend to mix very nicely here. Pubs are almost always teeming and my every college has their own bar next to the cafeteria. The Wadham students asked me the first night, "You mean American schools don't have their own public bars?" Insert tonal inflection.

My flat is very nice, as are my flatmates. The English gas oven is an adventure and the streets of Oxford are about ten times more dangerous than the middle of Kabul in a firestorm in my opinion. I have almost been creamed about ten times since arriving here. Not only do the cars come from the wrong direction and on the wrong side of the road, they DO NOT stop. Imagine that scene in Elf where Will Ferrel gets run over the the yellow cab. Now imagine black audis. This is of course combined with teeming crowds of zipping cyclists speeding past you. Its a war zone out there.

Of course, I'll be getting a bike soon hopefully. I say the Lord's prayer every time I walk outside, obviously.

Friday was London day, and I showed Michelle and Jeff around the city which was very fun. Ended up running across six lanes of traffic in the rain and then missing the bus as I strided through the tube station looking for the loo. They also don't have trash cans here.

The first official night after we moved in, Wadham College through a dinner and wine reception for the Sarah Lawrence Programme. Picture a butler, copious amounts of wine, uniformed waiters and candlebras in a great stone hall. Then add being surrounded by some of the smartest political theorists, lawyers, and United Nations leaders sharing game bird with you and talking about the Argentinian political crisis of 1979. It was slightly intense. But absolutely amazing.

I love it here, I love the people, I love the pubs. I hate the cyclists, the law library, the exchange rate and the fact that it costs 1 pound to use a shopping cart. But its an adventure. I encourage all of you to go have one.

I love you all and miss you tons. Keep in touch and expect postcards soon. Cheers!

<3 Amy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

soooo im not sure if you should be at oxford if you don't know which "through" to use. It's THREW a wine dinner...haha go check out ur mistake. its groovy. i think u should give up ur place to me. now. :-0